Wednesday, July 22, 2015

The High Sierra via the JMT

This July I was able to secure a Glacier Point to Mt. Whitney Portal permit for the John Muir Trail.  Due to time restrictions, I planned on only hiking to Bishop's Pass; due to a bad tooth (root canal in two days), I had to exit at McGee Pass. Here is a quick overview of the hike:

The first three nights: Tamarack Flats and Backpackers Camp
There was snow the first two nights, but my all season bivy can handle anything.



Starting at Glacier Point

Met a Grouse

Hiked the Sunrise Trail, still damaged from a fire


Camped at Sunrise

Putting in about 15-18 miles a day. This means I don't see many people...


Just Cathedral Lakes and deer


Had a ham a cheese sandwich at Tuolumne Meadows and then camped in Lyell Canyon


More deer

The Lone Boot

I hiked with a gentleman from Nova Scotia for a few miles. He took a pic for me hiking the north side of Donahue Pass




More North side of Donohue



On Donohue Pass I met a Marmot




I camped at Thousand Islands. All the peeps camped at Garnet Lake, where there was a bad bear. I had no bad bears.


I exited at Agnew Meadows to resupply, and stayed at 19 Davidson Guest House for two nights. Eric the owner was a great guy and has a rockin' horseshoe game going on. $28 for a bed. Watched Hell on Wheels and talked to the PCTers (Waves, Up, Sleeping Beauty, and Boy Scout who went to jail. And Simon form Berkeley.)

I caught the free trolley to Duck Trail, and hiked over Duck Pass, making camp at Lake Virginia. That's when my tooth went bad. Did get to swim in Lake Virginia and also talk to a nice couple from Montana.

More later...


No comments:

Post a Comment