Monday, September 10, 2012

Mt Whitney packing list

I am preparing to hike to the top of Mt Whitney next week with three of my brothers. Mt Whitney is the highest summit in the contiguous United States, with an elevation of 14,505 feet (wikipedia). To climb Mt Whitney you must enter a lottery to receive a permit. This limits the number of hikers that can enter the park and use the trails. This protects the integrity of the wilderness and registers hikers with the forest service for their own safety. We won a two day pass, so we plan on hiking halfway up on the first night and hit the peak in the morning of the second day.

With that in mind, we don't need much in the way of gear. However, the three of us are notorious over-packers. Here is a list of my intended gear:

1. Backpack
2. Sleeping bag
3. Sleeping pad (a luxury item, but I am old and need comfort)
4. One man bivouac tent (because I do not want to sleep with stink, farty brothers) (you fart alot at elevation due to compression on the body from elevation)
5. Bear box
6. Hiking boots
7. Camp sandals
8. Matches
9. Pocket rocket and gas
10. Map
11. Copy of permit
12. Trek pole (cause I'm old)
13. Socks (I hate wearing socks, but I'll make an exception)
14. Liquor
15. Water bottle and bladder
16. Spork, cup, and tea kettle
17. Duct tape
18. Tooth brush and paste
19. Bug spray and sunscreen
20. Knife
21. Small towel
22. Headlamp
23. iodine tablets
24. Gloves
25. Some clothes

My brothers are supposed to carry the food. And I got a lightweight hammer. And the park service gives us supplies for waste management. You got to pack your poop out!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Pierce St,Albany,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment